Monday, September 13, 2010

Beartooth Highway

WOW!!!  What can I possibly say.  If the rest of the trip was boring I would be ok.  Beacause this is amazing,  You really must go here.  I can't believe how few people know of this place.  It's just incredible. 

I believe that this is the same creek that runs into Red Lodge.  This is at the point that we're on the Beartooth.  It literally follows the highway at the lower elevation.










This is a lower elevation of the Beartooth.  You're literally driving right into the mountains.  And it's breath-taking.











About half way up there's this rest stop that you can look out across the pass.  These guys are everywhere and they will climb on your shoes and do what he's doing now.  Just flat out stare you down.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.









This is looking down from the rest stop into the Beartooth.  So awesome.  Very high though.  I wouldn't say that I was afraid of heights but this will make you appreciate being on the ground.










Interesting story with this  About 29 cars of this make and model started out on Cody WY and drove these things for 10 through yellowstone and theh beartooth pass.  I can't believe that they did it with those brakes.  I'm not even sure I would drive down it with my car much less something that's that old.  Adventure is adventure.







At this point we've pretty much leveled out and will be headed into the Shoshone National Forest.  There's snow up and here and the wind is blowing so hard that my face and lips become chaped big time.  In fact they're still chaped and cracked.  But who cares.








You can see an alpine lake to the left.  They're all over the place up here.  Epic!

2 comments:

  1. Fantacular pictures. You are the true photo journalist. The rest stop from Beartooth looks like the peaks and valley the crazies jumped off in those flying body suits. How cool would that be. What is the elevation there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The squirrel was just trying to communicate with you, they truly understand communication through collaboration.

    ReplyDelete