Saturday, September 18, 2010

Yellowstone Day 5 (Headed to Old Faithful)

On day 5 we headed to Old Faithful up through the South Western side of the park.  This is an amazing section of the park.  Stunning cascades, steam pots and wildlife.  It's hard to nail down just one section of the park that stands out.  But this one will be forever etched in my mind.  There's so many pictures that I've taken that didn't make it to the blog that are just as nice as these.  For example.  I took some pictures of the original lodge at Old Faithful.  That place is incredible.  We ate lunch there and it was soo cool looking.  It's very old and it must have taken years to build.  Everything is made of wood.  Anyway.  The following pictures tell the tale.

This place is so cool.  It's very inconspicuous from the road side.  Many of the sights are that way in Yellowstone.  Then you get out of your car and you're amazed by what you see. 










This was snapped near the bottom of Kepler Cascades.  I had to hike down to get it but it was worth it.  I was going to hike some more but I saw what looked like a cave.  So I thought maybe this is close enough.  The water is pristine.














I suppose that no trip would be complete without visiting Old Faithful.  It blows steam about every hour.  They even have a clock that estimates when it will go next.  It's cool and there are a ton of people but I must admit that I would rank this lower in priority.  But hey, that's just me.













This is the Firehole River and it winds through the Old Faithful geyser area.  There were some ducks hanging out down there.  I love it.  The wildlife is everywhere here despite all the geysers.  It's a pretty safe place in general for wildlife.  At least from humans.













I took this picture near the banks of the Firehole.  These things are all over the place.  Even when we went to the Tetons they were there.  That and sage brush.















This guy was hanging at Old Faithful with his wolf dog.  Very cool.  Check out those eyes.  I think he was thinking about eating a couple people.  But then he was like "Nah I'll wait".










The Tacoma loaded down good.  This thing ran great on this trip.  We drove it all over the place.  It ran like a tank and got pretty good mileage.  I love this truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment