Thursday, September 16, 2010

Yellowstone Day 3 (A Day of Fishing)

Ok.  Many of you who know me well know that when I fish I concentrate.  So, it should be no surprise that I have few pictures of the 3rd day.  It was incredible!  I have never caught a native species of American trout.  I just can't tell you how incredible it was.  I fished a place called Slough Creek and caught Native Yellowstone Cuthroats.  After that I fished the Lamar river in and around the Lamar River Valley.  It's a spectacular place to visit.  Even if you don't fish.

This is the best self portrait I've ever seen.  Check out that beard.  Few, including myself, can grow such a husky beard.











I cropped this one down a little bit.  I didn't show Dad how to use the zoom so it's kind of difficult to see.  This is a huge pool in the Slough Creek where native albeit intelligent trout will delicately sip your fly of the surface.  But when they run they run hard and multiple times.

Same place but the fish was taking a hard run into the depths.  The sky was impossibly blue and there was a wonderful flow just ahead of me and below me.  This pool was awesome!  Nice and slow. And just soooo clear.  You could see the fish come up and take your fly.  Caddis.  That's what they were eating.  They come up slowly from the bottom and that take the fly and immediately return to the green and blue depths of the Slough.





Dad snapped this one as I was coming back from the point I was fishing.  I just about feel.  Even Simms wading boots can become slippery with rushing Slough water.


I really wish that I had been able to get more pictures of this.  I have only one of the Lamar and I caught some really nice fish in a canyon just off the roadside.  Oh well.  Everyone needs a reason to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment