Monday, September 13, 2010

Yellowstone Day 1 (Tower Falls)

Well, it didn't take long to see Yellowstone's wildlife.  It happened pretty much immediately.  Wildlife is all around you here.  It's walking down the roads.  On the side of mountains and hills.  Near creeks.  At YOUR CAMPSITE... AHHH.  Yeah.  It happened.  Not a grizzly but a black bear.  But who cares.  A bear is a bear. 

I got some video of this also.  You could hear their horns hitting each other.  These dudes are big!  They walk all over the place.  It's like they don't even see the cars.  Or maybe they just don't care.










Bear.  I took two shots of this guy.  The next is zoomed in.  He was really healthy looking and so magestic.  Good thing I was in my car.  There was a guy like walking out of his car following him.  That's why people get eaten.









You can kind of see the fall color starting to set in.













We ended up with a pretty sweet campsite.  It's at the very end of and on the edge of the forrest.  Real close to the bears.  Can you see the TentCot?  That thing is awesome.  It was like 30 degrees last night and only my feet got cold.  I intend to fix that tonight.













Elk are all over the place.  This is a female and she had some thing on her ear with an antenna.  I suppose they track them somehow.  Really cool.











I may have to post a larger version of this one.  You can't really tell but I had just landed a fish in the Madison river and he was making a big run. He didn't want to be caught.










I'll try to post some more stuff by Wednesday or so.  But like I said.  There's no cell connections in this section of the park and you have to drive like 40 miles from our campsite to get it.  The place I'm headed to on Wednesday has it I think.  Until then you guys have fun.  I know I will.

4 comments:

  1. oh my! eric these pics are amazing! i can only imagine the real thing is just breathtaking! it really is God's country isn't it?? i'm so glad you're having a great time. it's great to see your adventure this way - so glad you're sharing it with us!! have fun and watch out for 'dem bears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures, Klapperschlange! That bear is totally the wackness. We had lunch at the happy mexican today and i ate some huevos con chorizo in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the New Marty Stouffer. Damn now you just need to learn to fly. The Flying Rattle snake you will be known everywhere. Awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eric, upon further investigation, i believe the picture of you fishing is a fabrication. i believe you photo-shopped yourself into the background image. since there are no other pictures of you in your surroundings, i cannot believe you are actually IN Yellowstone. just kidding of course, just my little way of saying "give us more updates! pictures with YOU in them to prove to us you're there!" : )

    ReplyDelete